Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bruise Brothers: Falling Down

Mat Seelinger and I compare our fashion accessories at Spokes recently.

Though Mat and I carry off the splint-and-ace-bandage look pretty well, we're both ready to go back to spandex and dri-fit. Hopefully, I'm free from my bondage, uh, bandage, on Thursday and can start thinking about getting back on the bike. At the very least, I'm going to get out in the heat and produce some sweat. I've been pretty much stuck indoors for the last couple of weeks, so I'm ready to get back out into Arkansas summer! Mat is facing longer break than I did, but a little multiple fracture didn't get him down. 
My bike guru told me early on that there were two kinds of riders, "those that have crashed and those that are going to crash". My recent healing was the result of a fall while skiing, though I've had my share of bike crashes and Mat's was the result of what should have been, by his account, a fairly routine fall off of the mountain bike. Most bike crashes don't happen when you're out there at the edge of your ability. At those times, you're consciously managing your risk and operating with a keen awareness. We're all going to fall off of our bikes from time to time, usually without much consequence, though I seem to have scars on all of my corners; elbows, knees, shoulders, and hips. Oh, yeah, and hands and face.... Sorry, I'm transgressing, but my point is that sometimes we get hurt. Ask any bike shop guy and they'll tell you that most equipment failures and bike breaking crashes occur while JRA. Just riding along. That's just real life. It's no reason not to ride a bike, but it might be a good reason to wear a helmet. 
Be alert. Be safe. I'll see you out there!

No comments: