Thursday, March 5, 2009

Chainlove: Quirky Internet Retail Outlets

I can't remember how I first ran across Chainlove
http://www.chainlove.com/

Some time later, I ran across Bonktown

http://www.bonktown.com/?CMP_ID=PD_GOO008&mv_pc=r101&s_kwcid=bonktown.com2557863215

Both are outlets for cycling gear and part of Backcountry, for which there is a link on both sites. They have an auction feel, featuring a fixed quantity of a single item (and a few more on the side) and a countdown clock. The discounts can be steep and if you snooze, you lose. When the countdown timer hits zero or the last gizmo is sold, it's game over, and the next item takes center stage.
These are unlikely to take much business from the local bike shop, as you're as likely to see DH body armor and camo MTB stuff followed by a sports bra and a 400.oo integrated carbon road bar and stem. It's mostly just the fun of seeing what pops up that makes it worthwhile to surf on by. I did buy some sunglasses recently.
If they just happen to be selling what you're buying, then the price might be right!

2 comments:

Geo said...

Jbar, I'm loving this blog! Very good stuff on here

JBar said...

Thanks. I'm pretending that a few people are reading it. Now, I know of at least two!