Saturday, July 13, 2013

Arkansas River Trail Safety Celebration

I have been remiss in not following up on the efforts of of Bernadette Rhodes, Willa Williams, and others for organizing this event, which took place on Saturday, June 29th.


The BACA tent crew: Pat Hays, Tom Ezell, Ken Gould, Judy Lansky, Mark Taylor,
Jim Britt, and Mark's lovely daughter, who may not forgive me for forgetting her name as I write this!
 
Along the North Little Rock Burns Park River Trail, volunteers from CARVE, ABC, BACA, Central Ark Trail Riders (equestrians), and NLR Fit2Live manned tents and offered trail maps, cold water, safety tips, helmet fitting and even free helmets to trail users! I even got advice from Sid Degarmo of CARVE that my helmet strap was too loose (it slipped, I swear!).
One couple who got free helmets from Sid and Tom Burks at the CARVE tent was delighted and amazed that somebody would give them helmets, just because they needed them! They rode off smiling and looking more stylish than when they had upon arrival.

Bernadette and Willa have become quite a team for North Little Rock Fit2Live  and Safe Routes. They have energetically promoted cycling in elementary schools, distributed trail maps and safety cards to local bike shops, facilitated LCI instructor training, and much more.

I owed them a call out!