Monday, May 18, 2009

Mile Marker 25k

I noticed last week that the odometer on my Litespeed Ghisallo had rolled over 25,000 miles. That's roughly 3 1/2 years of riding. My other bikes have collected a few miles, but the vast majority of my riding has been done on the Litespeed. It has performed as advertised. It is light (frame weight 880g as I recall), very comfortable and its titanium construction means that I can ride it for many more years and not worry about rust (steel), metal fatigue (aluminum) or notch failure (carbon).
This is not to say that I haven't had to do a little work and replace a few consumables along the way. I skimmed back over my bike log, where I keep maintenance notes as well as ride data, and gathered a some numbers on stuff that's gone onto the bike. In 25,000 miles, I've used:

9- DuraAce 7801 chains
11- Conti GP4000 tires
???- tubes
1- DuraAce 12-27 cassette (yeah, I've got a 27, but it's not a compact, girlyman.)
3- sets shifter cables
2- sets brake cables
5-6 sets bar tape
1- DA shifter (collision victim)
1- DA bottom bracket

3- saddles
Replaced Ksyrium SL wheelset due to brake surface wear. Still used as backup.

OK, so it's not free or even real cheap to ride, but it's worth it! I'm sure a lot of people, read that "most people", don't replace their chains regularly and only replace tires when they don't hold air anymore, etc., but I spend a lot of time on the bike and want everything to work perfectly and reliably.

Of course, if you don't ride your bike much, it's very easy to maintain. Just get out your little feather duster......

1 comment:

Ironman said...

Dude, that is a lot of miles in a short period of time. I see now how you are able to devour late night ice cream, cake and other sweet snacks.