Saturday, August 29, 2009

Proposal for Law To Protect Cyclists Withdrawn In NLR

......and trying to understand the opposition.


Within the last few weeks, an ordinance was introduced to the North Little Rock City Council that would have created penalties for harassing, threatening, throwing objects, etc., at cyclists. The proposal was cussed and discussed, added to, watered down and finally dropped. While I'm lukewarm on laws against things that could already be covered by existing law, I supported this because as a cyclist I've been subject to behavior from motorists that I've never experienced as a driver, walker, runner and long-haired hitch-hiker (OK that was a long time ago, but still a relevant experience). For whatever reason, some drivers are simply enraged at the sight of a cyclist. I don't understand it. My cousin, a big Bush man, had it explained to him that those drivers assume all riders are Democrats. Doesn't say much about the character of those particular Republicans.Besides, I actually know a cyclist or two who admit to being Republicans. Drivers contacted aldermen and showed up at meetings with the usual rant about scofflaw cyclists running stop signs and slowing them down on their appointed rounds. Admittedly, I'll cruise a stop sign on the bike, as do many motorists, but I don't hear these folks whining about motorists performing rolling stops and unsignalled lane changes, though I see that every day. Besides, if I run a stop sign and encounter a car, I'm going to lose, so I approach all intersections with great caution. If a car runs the stop sign and hits me, the driver is unlikely to suffer any consequences, physical or legal.
This article appeared here via the gadget to the right and enumerates what you might assume:

Who Causes Cyclists’ Deaths?
By Freakonomics
More than 52,000 bicyclists have been killed in bicycle traffic accidents in the U.S. over the 80 years the federal government has been keeping records. When it comes to sharing the road with cars, many people seem to assume that such accidents are usually the cyclist’s fault — a result of reckless or aggressive riding. But an analysis of police reports on 2,752 bike-car accidents in Toronto found that clumsy or inattentive driving by motorists was the cause of 90 percent of these crashes. Among the leading causes: running a stop sign or traffic light, turning into a cyclist’s path, or opening a door on a biker. This shouldn't come as too big a surprise: motorists cause roughly 75 percent of motorcycle crashes too.


I can't remember the last time I was endangered by a cyclist while driving my car and I've never been late to work or an appointment because I slowed for riders. Never. And my conclusion is that these people have an unexplained resentment towards cyclists and their claims are, for the most part, pure bullshit. I'll give credence to a few drivers who may regularly have to slow for weekend groups on regular routes like Wye Mountain, but the delays are insignificant, even if irritating. As a rider, when was the last time a driver was stuck behind you for 5 minutes? Never for me. 2 minutes, rarely. There is just not enough traffic on the vast majority of the roads that we ride here for cyclists to create much of a hold up.
On the bike, I've been intentionally run off the road, tailgated by a screaming, horn-honking soccer dad, and swerved at by oncoming vehicles who could not possibly be effected my presence. Not to mention the cursing, one-finger waves, thrown objects, etc., etc. Why? I can't answer that question, so my simple point is that cyclists are uniquely vulnerable and, for whatever reason, uniquely targeted by these nutjobs, so perhaps we need unique protection. Such a law would be marginally enforceable but would at least give law enforcement in our community something to hang their hat on in the event they witnessed an act of aggression.
I don't expect the real bullies to see the light, but I think most of the people that complain think of cyclists as a bunch of weirdos somehow very different from themselves.
When people target cyclists, they don't stop to think that they may be endangering or harassing their family doctor, their homebuilder or the guy that has to approve their next car loan.

Hopefully, we will reach a point where cyclists are considered mainstream traffic and not singled out for abuse. There will always be small-minded people who strike out at the unfamiliar or the bullies who enjoy playing rough as long as they have the upper hand. I don't know what motivates the pricks of the world, but I believe that the vast majority of people treat us pretty well out on the road. Give them all the lane that you safely can and then a smile and a wave as they pass on by.


Here's one explanation for raging drivers in general:

Road-ragers generally 'underachievers'

According to Vavrik, road rage can take many forms.

"There's not a clean definition of it. It's basically an aggressive act aimed at hurting somebody or sending a message to somebody," Vavrik said.

"The people most at risk of engaging in these behaviours are the least likely to control their behaviour," he said. "They have low emotional intelligence. They don't have the tools or skills or strategy to manage their emotions.

"In those extreme cases, we're talking about sociopathic issues. The driver's a walking time bomb."
http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id=1444441

2 comments:

caroline said...

sadly, tougher laws are needed. abusing a cyclist is not so different than a hate crime. those who are unconvinced should read this sickening story in yesterday's paper...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/02/world/americas/02toronto.html

caroline said...

more coverage, including the memorial service on canadian tv...
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090902/bike_memorial_090902?hub=Toronto