Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The State Of JBarCycling

As the frequency of my posts has diminished, I've been asked more than once if I had given up JBarCycling. I guess the best response is, "not quite".


I find myself having a few too many interests and demands to keep up the task of spending the several hours each week that it takes to conceive, research, and produce articles that I think will be of interest to you folks. I have been at it for 7 years and have written just over a thousand articles since the first post on February 25, 2009, some that I deem to have been important (blowing the whistle on the sale of Big Rock Quarry by the City of North Little Rock), some that were really fun (April 1 report of a Walton grant to complete the River Bluffs trail section behind Dillards HQ), and many that hopefully entertained and informed the cycling community in central Arkansas.

 The Big Rock Quarry story was first picked up by Max Brantley at the Arkansas Times( OK, I tipped him), then by all the other local mainstream media outlets. Friends of Big Rock Quarry arose on Facebook, and the questionable deal was ultimately shut down and the land became a part of the parks system.
Max also picked up the River Bluffs story, and was only a little taken aback when I pointed out the April 1 publication date.
One of my most rewarding moments came on a BDB100 when a guy rode up beside me and asked if I was JBar. After introductions, he said that he had been stationed in Kuwait on a C-130 crew flying into Iraq, and he wanted to thank me for helping him stay connected to his riding community at home. I was humbled that such a small thing could have meant so much to one of our service men.

I followed the construction and opening of the Two Rivers Bridge, which was fascinating.

In an introspective moment, I clicked through some blogs, mostly cycling related, that I had added to my bookmarks over time. They seem to come and go as either a cause runs its course or the blogger simply runs out of steam, so I guess the JBarCycling state-of-being is a natural thing.

Where I used to rush in from a ride with an article concept simply begging to be put to the screen, these days I am hard pressed to sit back down at my computer after a day of work.  I will continue to post articles from time to time with the hope of regaining my enthusiasm.
The JBarCycling Facebook page will stay up, as I've allowed its use by local bike shops and some groups.
I'll raise my head from time to time. Until then, thank you all for reading and for the many kind comments that I've received from you over the years. And thanks to the many folks who helped keep me informed about local cycling events, city government issues, and the many little bits of knowledge that allowed me to help keep our community informed.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, John, for your excellent coverage of bicycling and bicycle related matters. I love reading the blog and hope you will continue when you have time. Judy

celia said...

You've done good work here. You didn't spout your opinions without research; you didn't pass along unfounded rumors. I've admired the way you've kept your eyes open and taken the trouble to ask questions, finding out what's going on when you've seen something interesting.

Unknown said...

I've always enjoyed reading your blog. I check back frequently to get updates on local cycling news and learn something new every time. Much appreciation for all the work you've put into this

Unknown said...

I've always enjoyed reading your blog. I check back frequently to get updates on local cycling news and learn something new every time. Much appreciation for all the work you've put into this

DallaS said...

Like many people, I have really enjoyed your blog and I want to say thank you for all the time you have committed to it.