Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Paybacks

A few weeks ago, I was riding from the sub on a Friday afternoon. As usual on Friday, there were few riders around but as I headed back through the downtown park, I noticed a rider walking along pushing his bike and talking on his cell phone. I surveyed his situation:
nice bike, full kit, flat tire, no seat bag
I had just written this post a few days prior:
http://jbarcycling.blogspot.com/2009/08/dont-forget-legal-tender-ultimate.html

I mentioned the article later and he allowed that he didn't have a cent on him, either. Fun!

As I approached, I asked the usual, "Got everything you need?", to which he looked up from his conversation and said, "Uh, do you have a pump?" and going back to the phone..."No, I don't need you to come get me, I need for you to bring my stuff. I'm riding home."

My kind of rider! Long story short, we chatted while I pulled out his old tube, replaced it with one of mine and aired his tire up with my CO2. He was very gracious in insisting that he'd pay me back. I was laughingly ringing him up as I worked; tube 6.99,a CO2 at about 3.50, total repairs were worth about a ten spot, but that he could just pass it on the next time he saw a rider needing a hand. "No, I'll pay you back." He asked my phone number and we parted. All in all, a pleasant exchange and it is always nice to be able to provide someone with a big favor in their eyes at very little cost or inconvenience to you. It was also positive for me because I'd just written a post about never leaving home without a flat kit and I was feeling, oh, so right! Ok, I know that gloating is unbecoming, but the timing was good!

Forward to the next week:
I came home to find a $25.00 gift card from Competitive Cyclist in my mail box. We had discussed CC as our "go to" bike shop and I guess that he called the boys and tracked me down, then more than followed through on his promise of payback. His follow-up was neither expected nor necessary, but the spirit of it very much appreciated. I haven't seen him since, but it's good to meet folks like John Taylor out on the road. My seat bag is reloaded with a couple of tubes and some CO2's but I'll bet the next time I see him, he'll be packin'! If he's not, I reserve the right to make fun of him.

2 comments:

Geo said...

Awesome post!!

caroline said...

I liked it too. It's the spirit of the gift exchange. In some cultures, such as many NW Native American tribes, you give something and the recipient generally ups the gift in exchange; it's not required, yet it is done. Your suggestion of passing the "gift" along, and widening the gift circle, is also in keeping. It's all part of what makes you part of the same community (that, and riding the same routes, shopping at the same bike store :). Been reading Lewis Hyde's "The Gift" during my alternate-side-of-the-street car-parking mornings. That's my arm-chair, or, er, driver's seat philosophy for today.